Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Twisting the Knife

I just found out my ex boyfriend is engaged.

Now, because I previously ranted about age, I'll look over the fact that he's only 22, because quite honestly, age isn't really an issue in relationships.


I guess I'm happy for him, but it's one of those things that's difficult to take in. I mean, only a few months ago, we were canoodling on the lounge, with cutesy names for one another and sharing romantic dates in restaurants where we were the only two people in there.

Of course, it's so wonderful that he's found someone he wants to spend the rest of his life with, and whether it works out or not, I know this girl is something special to him which is so good.

Personally, I've never felt the desire to commit to forever with any previous boyfriends, and truthfully, I'm looking forward to feeling it...one day. But definitely not for a good few years, if not more.

But it's got me thinking about different life stages we go through, and the age each individual experiences it at. There's so many life paths we can take these days - travel, marriage, kids (not always in that order, and often one without the other), love, careers, horrific heartbreak both romantically and just in life as a generalisation.

It reinforces my incredulous discovery that *gasp* people are different.


I recently read this fantastic article in this month's Cosmopolitan magazine which compared women of the same age but at different life stages. It really showed me that there's no longer a 'socially acceptable' life path the follow. We no longer have to graduate high school, go to university or get a job, get married, have kids and then retire.

Life is no longer so black and white - it's covered with all different shades of grey, and quite frankly, these shades of grey are making me more excited about life than ever.


What usually freaks me out - so many life choice options tends to give me the fear that lack of direction could lead to possible failure - is now making me feel free to make the choices without worrying that if it doesn't work out, I've ruined my life forever.


I'm intrigued - what began as a heartbreaking moment that came with the realisation that my ex-boyfriend is engaged to his new girlfriend, has turned into a major positive outlook for me.


He should devestate me more often...


<3>




No comments:

Post a Comment